Hey All,

If you don't specify numShards at the start, then you can do custom
hashing, because Solr will just write the document to whatever shard you
send it to.

However, when I don't specify numshards, I'm having trouble creating more
than one shard. It makes one shard and the others I add are simply
replicas. Here's the params I'm using to start
http://pastebin.com/818SguiA . Am I missing something?

I only want custom hashing because before when I had it do the automatic
hashing, I was posting all documents to one shard, and then it would
forward them to the right place. I want to add them to different shards to
distribute the load, so that it's not just one of them handling the
forwarding. It seems silly to add them across all the shards and then have
each shard forward them to a potentially different shard based on the hash.

Thanks!