This is a known limitation.  From CHANGES.txt:
* SOLR-2345: Enhanced geodist() to work with an RPT field, provided that the
  field is referenced via 'sfield' and the query point is constant.
  (David Smiley)

The reason why that limitation is there relates to the fact that the
function query parser will attempt to resolve the field name if it's
referenced as an argument, and that'll fail because you can't get a
ValueSource from an RPT field because a ValueSource is a single-valued
construct and RPT isn't limited in that way

~ David

Billnbell wrote

-----
 Author: http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-3-enterprise-search-server/book