thanks guys.  I saw this other post with curl and verified it working.

I've also used apache bench for a bunch of stuff and keep-alive works fine
with things like Java netty.io servers ...  strange that tomcat isn't
respecting the http protocol or headers....

There must be a bug in this version of tomcat being used.