@Greg - Thanks for the suggestion. Will pass it along to my folks.

@Shawn - That's the link I was looking for 'non-SolrCloud approach to
distributed search'. Thanks for passing that along. Will give it a try.

As far as RAM usage goes, I believe we set the heap size to about 40% of
the RAM and less than 10% is available for OS caching ( since replica takes
another 40%). Why does unallocated RAM help? How does it impact performance
under load?

-Deepak