That sounds reasonable. I've done some more digging, and found that the
database instance in this case is an _OLD_ version of Oracle: 9.2.0.8.0. I
also tried using the OCI driver (version 12), which refuses to even talk to
this database.

I have three other databases running on more recent versions of Oracle, and
all three have worked fine with DataImportHandler.