No direct help but a bunch of related random thoughts:

1) How are you running Tika? As a jar loading from scratch every time? Tika
can also run in a server mode where it listens to a network socket. You
send the file, it sends the extract back. Might be faster.

2) Deleting old stuff. You can index into a new core and then swap the
cores out. Heavy on the server, but client will not notice. Or just reindex
into the same core but have a timestamp for index-time. Then delete with a
query for old timestamp (not reindexed)

3) DIH is ok, but getting old in a tooth. And you are kind of supposed to
grow out of it. Maybe look at Flume for more modern take.

4) Security: Maybe ManyfoldCF has something you can use:
http://projects.apache.org/projects/manifoldcf.html

Regards,
   Alex.

- Time is the quality of nature that keeps events from happening all at
once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD book)