Tim:

I think you're mis-interpreting. By replying to a post with the subject:

{soft}Commit and cache flushing

but going in a different direction, it's easy for people to think "I'm
not interested in that
thread, I'll ignore it", thereby missing the fact that you're asking a
somewhat different
question that they might have information about. It's not about whether you're
doing anything particularly wrong with the question. It's about making
it easy for
people to help.

See http://people.apache.org/~hossman/#threadhijack

Best,