I can confirm solr 3.x and 4.x runs fine with jetty 6.x from Ubuntu repo, we have in production for few years now with no issues, you just need to be sure your solr.war has the required jars in it, also your collection must have the extra jars needed by your app.

We have been running it in Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS for a long time, it is easy to have the jetty server with default repo package since it is easy to pass JVM parameters using /etc/default/jetty config file.

HTH,

Guido.