That's exactly what we advocate for in our Solr work. We call in "Test
Driven Relevancy". We work closely with content experts to help build
collaboration around search quality. (disclaimer, yes we build a product
around this) but the advice still stands regardless.

http://www.opensourceconnections.com/2013/10/14/what-is-test-driven-search-relevancy/

Cheers
-Doug Turnbull
Search Relevancy Expert