Hi Erick,

Thanks for the suggestion. Like I said, I'm an infant.

We tried synonyms both ways. sea biscuit => seabiscuit and seabiscuit =>
sea biscuit and didn't understand exactly how it worked. But I just checked
the analysis tool, and it seems to work perfectly fine at index time. Now,
I can happily discard my own filter and 4 days of work. I'm happy I got to
know a few ways on how/when not to write a solr filter :)

I tried the string "sea biscuit sea bird" with expand=false and the tokens
i got were seabiscuit sea bird at 1,2 and 3 positions respectively. But at
query time, when I enter the same term "sea biscuit sea bird", using
edismax and qf, pf2, and pf3, the parsedQuery looks like this:

+((text:sea) (text:biscuit) (text:sea) (text:bird)) ((text:\"biscuit sea\")
(text:\"sea bird\")) ((text:\"seabiscuit sea\") (text:\"biscuit sea
bird\"))"

What I wanted instead was this

"+((text:seabiscuit) (text:sea) (text:bird)) ((text:\"seabiscuit sea\")
(text:\"sea bird\")) (text:\"seabiscuit sea bird\")"

Looks like there isn't any other way than to pre-process query myself and
create the compound word. What do you mean by "just query the raw string"?
Am I still missing something?

Parvesh Garg
http://www.zettata.com
(This time I did remove my phone number :) )