Hmmm, so you're saying that merging indexes where a field
has been removed isn't handled. So you have some documents
that do have a "what" field, but your schema doesn't have it,
is that true?

It _seems_ like you could get by by putting the _what_ field back
into your schema, just not sending any data to it in new docs.

I'll let others who understand merging better than me chime in on
whether this is a case that should be handled or a bug. I pinged the
dev list to see what the opinion is....

Best,
Erick