On 10/30/2013 9:24 AM, Elena Camossi wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to configure Solr 4.5.0 on Linux red Hat to work with CKAN and
Tomcat, but Solr cannot initialize the core (I'm configuring just one core,
but this is likely to change in the next future. I'm using contexts for this
set up). Tomcat is working correctly, and list solr among running
applications.  When I open the Solr dashboard, the Solr instance is running
but I see this error

        SolrCore Initialization Failures
        ckan-schema-2.0:
org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:
Could not load config file /usr/share/solr/ckan/conf/solrconfig.xml

<snip>

The content of my solr.xml  for core settings (/usr/share/solr/solr.xml, in
my installation) is

<solr persistent="true" sharedLib="lib">
     <cores adminPath="/admin/cores" defaultCoreName="ckan">
         <core name ="ckan-schema-2.0" instanceDir="ckan/conf"> <property
name="dataDir" value="/var/lib/solr/data/ckan" /></core>
     </cores>
</solr>

Typically, instanceDir will not have the "conf" on it - it should just be "ckan" for this. Solr automatically adds the conf when it is looking for the configuration.

Later you show that you have dataDir defined in solrconfig.xml -- take that out entirely. The dataDir is specified in solr.xml, putting it in solrconfig.xml also is just asking for problems -- especially if you ever end up sharing the solrconfig.xml between more than one core, which is what happens with SolrCloud. Also, evidence seems to suggest that the ${dataDir} substitution that used to work in older versions was a fluke. After a recent rigorous properties cleanup, it is no longer supported, unless you actually define that as a java system property.

Finally, make sure that the permissions of all paths leading to both the symlink for your conf directory and the actual conf directory are readable to the tomcat user, not just root.