Thanks Michael.  Followed your advice - no commits from indexing clients; let
auto commit takes care of things.  It worked, so far no errors.   The config
params needs some more tweaking to get the right balance, specifically maxTime,
maxDocs and the soft commit interval, but otherwise sold is a lot more
healthier...

Thanks for your help.