You probably shouldn't optimize at all. The default TieredMergePolicy
will eventually purge the deleted files' data, which is really what optimize
does. So despite its name, most of the time it's not really worth the
effort.

Take a look at your Solr admin page, the "overview" link for a core.
If the number of deleted docs is a significant percentage of your
numDocs (I typically use 20% or so, but YMMV) then optimize
might be worthwhile. Otherwise, it's a distraction unless and until
you have some evidence that it actually makes a difference.

Best,
Erick