Solr is using the UniqueKey you defined for your documents, that shouldn't be a
problem, since you can lookup the document from the list of documents in the
main response?

And there is actually a ticket, which would allow it to inline the highlight
response with DocTransfomers: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3479

-Stefan