On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 11:29 +0100, michallos wrote:
> "on production" - no I can't profile it (because of huge overhead) ... Maybe
> with dynamic tracing but we can't do it right now.

https://blogs.oracle.com/nbprofiler/entry/visualvm_1_3_released
First section: "Sampler In The Core Tool".

> After server restart, delta time reset to 15-20 seconds so it is not caused
> by the mergeFactor.

Unless your merges are cascading so that the amount of concurrent merges
is growing. But with fast storage and a lot of RAM for write cache, that
does not sound probable.

> We have SSD and 70GB RAM (it is enough for us).

Sounds like more than enough for a 120GB index.

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark