On Tue, 2013-12-10 at 17:51 +0100, Hoggarth, Gil wrote:
> We're probably going to be building a Solr service to handle a dataset
> of ~60TB, which for our data and schema typically gives a Solr index
> size of 1/10th - i.e., 6TB. Given there's a general rule about the
> amount of hardware memory required should exceed the size of the Solr
> index (exceed to also allow for the operating system etc.), how have
> people handled this situation?

By acknowledging that it is cheaper to buy SSDs instead of trying to
compensate for slow spinning drives with excessive amounts of RAM.

Our plans for an estimated 20TB of indexes out of 372TB of raw web data
is to use SSDs controlled by a single machine with 512GB of RAM (or was
it 256GB? I'll have to ask the hardware guys):
https://sbdevel.wordpress.com/2013/12/06/danish-webscale/

As always YMMW and the numbers you quite elsewhere indicates that your
queries are quite complex. You might want to be a bit of profiling to
see if they are heavy enough to make the CPU the bottleneck.

Regards,
Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark