Hi Chris,

The easiest approach is to just create a new core on the new machine that
references the collection and shard you want to migrate. For example, say you
split shard1 of a collection named "cloud", which results in having: shard1_0
and shard1_1. Now let's say you want to migrate shard 1_0 over to the new
machine.

First, fire off a q=*:*&distrib=false query to the shard you're migrating so
that you know how many docs it has (which will be used to verify the migration
was clean below).

Next, bring up the new machine in cloud mode (-zkHost=?) and then go to the
admin console on that server. Nav to the core admin page and create a new core,
specifying the collection and shard1_0 in the form; note: the form leads you to
believe you need to create the directory on the local system but you actually
don't need to worry about doing that as the config will get pulled from ZK and
the directory will get created on the fly (at least that's what happened in my
env using branch_4x).

When the new core initializes, it will use good ol' snapshot replication to
pull the index from the leader. Verify the new core is happy by executing the
q=*:*&distrib=false  query again. Once you're satisfied, you can unload the
core you migrated.

Btw ... you can do all this with the core admin API instead of the Web UI if
you want to script it.

Cheers,

Timothy Potter
Sr. Software Engineer, LucidWorks