Or, in other words, assuming that the example you reported (article.id=18)
returns a record with cat_name, could you hardcode that id in your
dih-config (replacing ${article.id} with 18) and try to run a full-import?

Another important thing: in your example you are using the object_id as an
int (object_id=18) but not in dih-config.xml where you are using quotes
(object_id=' ${article.id}')....although jdbc drivers often handle this
conversion magically this is not very good. Is object_id a string or a
number?