I think generally it might be true that it's too difficult for an admin
without very specific knowledge of Solr internals to utilize simple URL
rewriting to prevent exploits. To show what I mean, here's a story where
someone was able to exploit a Solr server through a custom webapp, which in
theory is many times more obfuscated than a simple rewrite.

http://www.agarri.fr/kom/archives/2013/11/27/compromising_an_unreachable_solr_server_with_cve-2013-6397/index.html

I know that some of the vulnerabilities used in this writeup have been
fixed, but the potential for other vulnerabilities such as these to appear
in the future is likely. That's just how software development works. It
would be hard for a casual user to maintain a rewriting scheme that both
secured the current release of Solr in any configuration, while also
preventing any new features from being exploited.

Just my two cents.

Michael Della Bitta

Applications Developer

o: +1 646 532 3062  | c: +1 917 477 7906

appinions inc.

“The Science of Influence Marketing”

18 East 41st Street

New York, NY 10017