I have a Java question, for a custom update processor I'm developing. It
takes an input field of the following format:

field:value;mvfield:value1;mvfield:value2

With an inner delimiter set to a colon and an outer delimiter set to a
semicolon, this results in two new fields going into the document. The
field named 'field' has one value and the field named mvfield has two.

This code uses the String#split method,  so it can't deal with the
delimiter characters being escaped with a backslash.

How can I make the code deal with an escape character (backslash) on the
two delimiters and the escape character itself? Unless it's absolutely
necessary or super easy, I do not plan to deal with the full set of regex
escaped characters.

I can move this discussion to the development list, but I thought I would
start here.

Thanks,
Shawn