That got away a little early...

The inserter is a small C++ program that uses pglib to speek to postgres
and the a http-client library that uses libcurl under the hood. The
inserter draws very little CPU and we normally use 2 writer threads that
each posts 1000 records at a time. Its very inefficient to post one at a
time but I've not done any specific testing to know if 1000 is better that
500....

What we're doing now is trying to figure out how to get the query
performance up since is not where we need it to be so we're not done
either...