Sounds like a bug. 4.6.1 is out any minute - you might try that. There was a
replication bug that may be involved.

If you removed the tlog and index and restart it should resync, or something is
really crazy.

The clusterstate.json is a red herring. You have to merge the live nodes info
with the state to know the real state.

- Mark

http://www.about.me/markrmiller