I have seen other projects that have a releases mailing list, the only use
cases I can think of are:

1) users who want notifications about new releases, but don't want the
"flood" of the full user-list.
2) historical searching to see how often releases were made.  Given there
isn't an official timetable, its not really going to be useful as a forward
planner, but might have some value looking at how often patch releases come
out.  One could attempt to infer some degree of stability (or more
accurately lack of stability) if lots of patches for a given release came
out quickly.

Wasn't aware of the RSS feed, that's useful as an indicator for use case 1
at least.  Use case 2 is probably too vague and has lots of
assumptions/inferences that mean its a bad idea anyway :)