More looking for log messages at the end of the log. There are a bunch of
messages that come out when you start up your server. Also look at enabling
more detailed logging, will take editing the log properties file since, if
you don't
find anything useful at the INFO level, you need to change things when
you start.

An alternative. In the "how to contribute" page on the Solr Wiki there are
instructions on setting up a remote debugging session. Actually, I think the
instructions are linked from there on detail pages for using Eclipse or
IntelliJ.
If you start the Solr following those instructions, you can specify that it
wait
(suspend=y) and connect to it with a debugger to see what it is doing.

You can also use jstack to dump the stack when it's hung to see where all
the threads are.

But overall, you'll have to dig. The behavior you're seeing isn't expected,
and
we can't diagnose it without more info.

Best,
Erick