Colin:

Stop. Back up. The automatic soft commits will make updates available to
your users every second. Those documents _include_ anything from your "hard
commit" jobs. What could be faster? Parenthetically I'll add that 1 second
soft commits are rarely an actual requirement, but that's your decision.

For the hard commits. Fine. Do them if you insist. Just set
openSearcher=false. The documents will be searchable the next time the soft
commit happens, within one second. The key is openSearcher=false. That
prevents starting a brand new searcher.

BTW, your commits are not failing. It's just that _after_ the commit
happens, the warming searcher limit is exceeded.

You can even wait until the segments are flushed to disk. All without
opening a searcher.

Shawn is spot on in his recommendations to not fixate on the commits. Solr
handles that. Here's a long blog about all the details of durability .vs.
visibility.
http://searchhub.org/2013/08/23/understanding-transaction-logs-softcommit-and-commit-in-sorlcloud/

You're over-thinking the problem here, trying to control commits with a
sledgehammer when you don't need to, just use the built-in capabilities.

Best,
Erick