Jack, thanks for the pointer. I should have checked this closely. I'm using
edismax and here's my qf entry :

<str name="qf">
          id^10.0 cat^1.4 text^0.5 features^1.0 name^1.2 sku^1.5 manu^1.1
title^10.0 description^5.0 keywords^5.0 author^2.0 resourcename^1.0
       </str>

As you can see, I was boosting id and cat which are of type string and of
course doesn't go through the stopwords filter. Removing them returned one
result which is based on AND operator.

The part what I'm not clear is how "and" is being treated even through its a
stopword and the default operator is OR. Shouldn't this be ignored ?