On 3/5/2014 2:31 PM, Toby Lazar wrote:
I believe SolrJ uses XML under the covers.  If so, I don't think you would
improve performance by switching to SolrJ, since the client would convert
it to XML before sending it on the wire.

Until recently, SolrJ always used XML by default for requests and javabin for responses. That is moving to javabin for both. This is already the case in the newest versions for CloudSolrServer. HttpSolrServer is still using the XML RequestWriter by default, but you can change this very easily to BinaryRequestWriter. If you plan to use SolrJ, it's a change I would highly recommend.

Thanks,
Shawn