My initial approach was to use filter cache static fields.  However when
filter query is used, every query after the first has the same response
time as the first.  For instance, when cache is enabled in the query under
review, response time shoots up to 4-5secs and stays there.

We are using default filter cache settings provided with 4.5.0
distribution.

Current Filter Cache stats :

lookups:0
hits:0
hitratio:0
inserts:0
evictions:0
size:0
warmupTime:0
cumulative_lookups:17135
cumulative_hits:2465
cumulative_hitratio:0.14
cumulative_inserts:14670
cumulative_evictions:0

I did not find what cumulative_* fields mean
here<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrAdminStats> ,
but it looks like nothing is being cached with fq as hit ratio is 0.

Any idea whats happening?