Well, a couple of things:

1> Solr does NOT index documents in XML, that
     is just the input format. Well, one of the input
     formats. Internally there's a complex inverted
     index storage format.
2> What do you mean "organize into folders"? The
     common way is just to put them all into a single
     core and also index a field with the path to the file.
     You can then do things like "show all files in
     folder X" by adding an fq=filepath:"path/to/folder/x"
     to your query.

Also look at PathTokenizerHierarchyFactory for
interesting ways to get partial paths, in the above
you'd use fq=filepath:"path/to" to get everything in the
tree below "path/to"..

But this really sounds like an XY problem. You've asked
for information about cores without clearly stating what
problem you're trying to solve. How are people intending
to _use_ the search app you're going to build?

Best,
Erick