I have observed slowness of my Solr instance co-occurred with thread stack
overflow error, both happened at about the same time:

2014-03-09 03:14:43,166 ERROR
SolrDispatchFilter|null:java.lang.RuntimeException:
java.lang.StackOverflowError
        at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.sendError(SolrDispatchFilter.java:670)
        at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:380)
        at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:155)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1419)
Caused by: java.lang.StackOverflowError
        at
org.apache.lucene.util.automaton.SpecialOperations.isFinite(SpecialOperations.java:81)
        at
org.apache.lucene.util.automaton.SpecialOperations.isFinite(SpecialOperations.java:83)
        at
org.apache.lucene.util.automaton.SpecialOperations.isFinite(SpecialOperations.java:83)

However I only see this exception error logged once. My question is: does
Solr/Lucene collapse exceptions of multiple threads and only log it at once?
I suspected stack overflow exhausted JVM memory. If this error is only one
thread, it cannot justify the memory issue because the stackoverflow was
only for 1 thread and it at most exhausted 1M (by default) stack memory of
JVM.