On 3/11/2014 8:51 PM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> On 3/11/2014 8:07 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
>> Is there a way to disable cache *lookups* into cached that are disabled?
>>
>> Check this for example: https://apps.sematext.com/spm-reports/s/Z04bfIvGyH
>>
>> This is a Document cache that was enabled, and then got disabled.  But the
>> lookups are still happening, which is pointless if the cache is disabled.
>>
>> If that's not doable, I will JIRA?
>
> I think this needs an issue.  I've worked up a *possible* patch for the
> problem.  One that still needs testing and review.  Which reminds me, I
> should probably invent new test methods for this.
>
> The lookups should have very little overhead, but any avoidable overhead
> *should* be avoided.

The quickfix that I started with on FastLRUCache didn't work and made
most of the tests fail.  It turns out that FastLRUCache bumps the max
cache size to 2 when you set it to zero.  I haven't looked deeper into
the other cache types yet.

Once you create the issue, we can move this discussion there.

Thanks,
Shawn