Lajos/Robi, thanks for the answers.

For others' convenience, I copied Robi's reply below so this thread contains
all discussions.

Based on Lajos' detailed comments, there seems no single answer to this
question. There are trade-offs between collection level and core level, and one
needs to decide by considering multiple factors and various situations.
Basically, some POC is needed for intended use cases, which was also mentioned
in a few previous discussions.

Robi prefers to have one single collection to handle many tenants as described
in the quoted mail. As Lajos said, this may be good for certain use cases.

Just one thing Robi mentioned I feel a little confusing: "what used to be
called a 'core' is now called a 'collection' in solr cloud". I think it might
be better to say "what used to be done via a 'core' is now better to be done
via a 'collection' in solr cloud" to take advantage of the distributed
execution in cloud. In the referred wiki, the Core concept is still there for
Solr Cloud, and it is quite different from Collection: physical vs. logical.

Regards.

Shushuai

-----------------------------------
Hi

Overall I think you are mixing up your terminology.  What used to be called a
'core' is now called a 'collection' in solr cloud.  In the old master slave
setup, you made separate cores and replicated them to all slaves.  Now they
want you to think of them as collections and let the cloud manage the
distribution over the physical machines and their cores.
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTerminology

On the multi-tenancy front, I have one core/collection with thousands of
tenants.  I manage the separation of concerns with dynamic fields using the
tenant ids as prefixes.  Thus I can have one schema allowing searches across
all tenants or restricted to one tenants data.  This is secure because I use a
wrapper web service to present a simpler API to the web clients and the wrapper
constructs the actual queries to solr behind the curtains, thus nobody can make
any malicious queries.  Secure done.

On the performance front, one big index for all the tenants works fine.  It's
probably just as good as having thousands of collections and much simpler to
maintain.

Hope that helps a bit,
Robi