Can you share a sample query ? Ensure you have filterquery, fl fields and
query result cache settings well tuned

To give you an example: A month ago I had an issue where a few of our
queries were taking 3+seconds with 5 shards and as I added more shards the
query was taking even longer. I figured that the root cause was a poorly
written query (improper use of q and failure to use Fq for filtering
fields). That brought down latencies to sub 200 ms. More sharding is
usually better performant (atleast with respect to my experience so far)
and merge/fetch time has been negligible compared to search time
(especially if the search doesnt use filters and caches)

To help you more I need sample queries

--
Best