What do you expect to get out of updates except for
stability/new-features? In schema.xml, there is a version field. If
you don't change that, you should not be affected by new defaults. As
to new features (e.g. Near-Real-Time), you have to enable it
explicitly in couple of places to get it going.

I don't think restarting every upgrade from example schema is a good
idea. It has too much stuff in it. Perhaps, what we need is a separate
minimal example that would show just the basics. But then, what would
go into that (NRT support? dynamic schema?).

Regards,
   Alex.
P.s. I am not disagreeing that the migration assistance would be
awesome. I am just trying to draw out more details from those doing it
in the trenches and make the discussion more concrete.

at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)