Elisabeth,

Yes, I believe you are right in that the deletes are part of the optimize
process. If you delete often, you may consider (if not already) the
TieredMergePolicy, which is suited for this scenario. Check out this
relevant discussion I had with Lucene committers:
https://twitter.com/DmitryKan/status/399820408444051456

HTH,

Dmitry

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 11:34 AM, elisabeth benoit <elisaelisael...@gmail.com