Hi Eric.

Sorry, been away.

The city_index_synonyms.txt file is pretty small as it contains just these
two lines:

saint,st,ste
fort,ft

There is nothing at all in the city_query_synonyms.txt file, and it isn't
used either.

My understanding is that solr would create the appropriate synonym entries
in the index and so treat "fort" and "ft" as equal

if you have a simple one line schema (that uses the type definition from my
original email) and index "fort saint john", does it work for you?  i.e.
does it return results if you search for "ft st john" and "ft saint john"
and "fort st john"?

My Solr 4.6.1 instance doesn't.  I am wondering if synonyms just don't work
for all/some words in a phrase