Are you using all those cores at once? If not, there is a recent
settings to allow solr to load cores on demand.

If you are using them all, perhaps you need to look into splitting
them to different machines (horizontal scaling).

What about your caches? How many additional structures you have
configured for each core? How much memory you allocated to the Java
process. You are probably running out of memory and thrashing with a
swap. I am not even sure Java process can access that much memory in
one process. You might be better off running multiple Tomcat/Solr
instances on the same machine with different subsets of cores.

Regards,
   Alex.
P.s. This is general advice, I don't know the specific issues around
that version of Solr/Tomcat.
Current project: http://www.solr-start.com/ - Accelerating your Solr proficiency