Thanks for the quick answer i was able to solve my problem with the addition
of two new fields and if todays date is april14 my query is

(liveStartDate:[* TO 2014-04-14T00:00:00Z] AND
liveEndDate:[2014-04-14T00:00:00Z TO *])

and its fetches me the correct document

guess my initial question does solr provide out of the box functionality if
i have the below three documents set,  how can i get only doc2 if i assume
todays date is 14-APRIL-2014

for simplicity i gave the liveDate as dates beginning at the start of each
month but in real life these dates can be anything.
<doc1 liveDate=1-MAR-2014>
<doc2 liveDate=1-APR-2014>
<doc3 liveDate=1-MAY-2014>