Hi;

If you had a chance to change the code at client side I would suggest to
try that:
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/4_2_1/solr-solrj/org/apache/solr/client/solrj/impl/HttpSolrServer.html#setParser(org.apache.solr.client.solrj.ResponseParser)
There
maybe a problem about character encoding of your Play App and here is the
information:

Javabin is a custom binary format used to write out Solr's response in a
fast and efficient manner. As of Solr 3.1, the JavaBin format has changed
to version 2. Version 2 serializes strings differently: instead of writing
the number of UTF-16 characters followed by the bytes in Modified UTF-8 it
writes the number of UTF-8 bytes followed by the bytes in UTF-8.

Which version of Solr and Solrj do you use respectively? On the other hand
if you give us more information I can help you because there may be any
other interesting thing as like here:

Thanks;
Furkan KAMACI