From: Maciej Dziardziel [mailto:fied...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2014 7:05 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Spellchecking - looking for general advice

Hi

I was looking at spellcheck (Direct and FileBased) and testing that they can do.
Direct works fine most of the time, but I'd like to find solution for few
corner cases:

1) having "recruted" and "recruiter" in index, "recruter" should suggest the
latter.
    Obviously the distance to the former is smaller, so it may be completely
arbitrary,
    and perhaps must be handled on application side rather then solr.
2) "restraunt" doesn't suggest "restaurant" - I assume that distance is to big
for that.

Those are few examples of queries that spellcheck gets (according to my
requirements) wrong.
For now I am just looking at possible solutions and I'd need to come up with
initial concept to have something to show to users and get more feedback,
likely with more cases to correct.

I'd like to know if there are some tweaks to spellcheck component I could make
(or perhaps other ways of doing this with solr), or am I forced to hardcode
list of all such corrections that go beyond what spellcheck can do?

One solution I am considering is to put list of those special cases into
FileSpellChecker (it seems to be more relaxed, and handles restraunt case well)
and fall back to Direct if this yields no results... though I am not sure yet
how well that would work in practice if the list of misspelled words would grow
beyond few I have now. It would most likely woldn't scale

Another possibility would be to analyze list of queries our users use that
yield little results and check if there is spellchecked version that improves
that... but that seems to require human to review corrections.

Yet another thing I was thinking about would be to pull terms into separate
spellchecker (like aspell) and see if they do better job or are more tweakable.

That's a bit open ended problem, so any advice welcome.

--
Maciej Dziardziel
fied...@gmail.com