I thought the date math rounding was for _caching_ the repeated
queries, not so much the speed of the query itself.

Also, if you are using TrieDateField, precisionStep value is how
optimization is done. There is bucketing at different level of
precision, so the range search works at the least granular level
first, etc.

Regards,
   Alex.
Current project: http://www.solr-start.com/ - Accelerating your Solr proficiency