How would you characterizer the differences that you see which you try "q=search string ...&fq=type:(type_a OR type_b OR type_c OR ...)"? That does look like the right way to do it. Is the count of documents different? Are some documents missing or added? Or is it just the ordering of documents that is different?

For the latter, the fq is purely a "filter" that removes documents, but the terms in fq do not participate in relevance or scoring calculation of documents, so documents will not get boosted based on the terms present in fq.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message----- From: johnmu...@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 11:26 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Using fq as OR

Hi,

Currently, I'm building my search as follows:

q=(search string ...) AND (type:type_a OR type:type_b OR type:type_c OR ...)

Which means anything I search for will be AND'ed to be in either fields that have "type_a", "type_b", "type_c", etc. (I have defaultOperator set to "AND")

Now, I need to use "fq" so I'm not sure how to build my search string to get the same result!!

I have tried the following:

   q=search string ...&fq=type:type_a&fq=type:type_b&fq=type:type_c&...

But this isn't the same because each additional "fq" is now being treated as AND (keep in mind, I have defaultOperator set to "AND" and I cannot change that).

I have tried the following:

   q=search string ...&fq=type:(type_a OR type_b OR type_c OR ...)

But the result I get back is not the same.

Thanks in advanced !!!

-- MJ