I'm using Solr 4.7.2.

A few things I've missed follow. Before reaching the "one leader-one failed
to recover" state, the situation was no leader for the shard and both nodes
in "recovery failed" mode. A bit of tinkering to clusterstate.json "forced"
the one to be the leader but that didn't change a thing. The error message
"No registered leader was found after waiting" was the same before and after
tinkering.

The other thing I found out is that there was a period when ZK ensemble was
down for a while. In Solr log and upon startup I found ithe following
org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException$NoNodeException: KeeperErrorCode =
NoNode for /collections/sample/leaders/shard1

It seems though that the Solr servers could not communicate with ZK once it
was functional again.
Restarting the servers once more fixed the issue and the failing server
managed to "recover" the index successfully.