bq: I think that it happens at index time

How do you know that? If you're looking at the results in a browser
you do _not_ know that. If you're looking at the raw values in, say,
SolrJ then you _might_ know that, there's still the issue of whether
you're sending the docs to Solr and your servlet container is munging
them. In this latter case, you're right the info is indexed that way.

Either way, it's not Solr's problem. Solr works just fine with utf-8.
So if the data is getting into the index with weird characters, it's
your setup. If it's just a browser problem, it's _still_ a problem
with your setup.

FWIW,
Erick