what  would "grouping on a multivalued field" mean? Count the same doc
separately for each value in the MV field? Use the first value?

This seems similar to the problem of sorting on fields with more than
one token, any approach I can think of will be wrong.

But this smells like an XY problem. What is the use-case you're trying
to support? If you tell us that there might be alternate approaches
that would work OOB.

To answer your question "not that I know of".

Best
Erick