On 5/30/2014 12:00 PM, Jim.Musil wrote:
> I’m attempting to define a core using the new core discovery method described
> here:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Core%20Discovery%20(4.4%20and%20beyond)
>
> At the bottom of the page is a parameter named configName that should allow
> me to specify a configuration name to use for a collection. This does not
> seem to be working. I have a configuration uploaded to zookeeper with a name.
> I want to share that configuration between two cores, but it is only linking
> to the one with the same exact name.
>
> This parameter is marked at “Tentative” for 4.6. What is the status?

Since you've got zookeeper, you're running in cloud mode.  This means
that you should be dealing with collections, not individual cores.  In
zookeeper, the config name is associated with the collection.  The
collection is built using one or more shards.  Shards are built using
one or more replicas.  Each replica is a core.  You can create
collections with the Collections API.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTerminology
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud#Managing_collections_via_the_Collections_API

I had been thinking that the configName parameter you are talking about
is a way to use SolrCloud's named configuration sets when *not* in
SolrCloud mode.  I thought that the following issue was where this would
happen, and that the config sets would be on the filesystem.

After reading the issue (which was committed to 4.8), I am very
confused, because despite the issue title being about non-SolrCloud
mode, later comments include a lot of discussions about zookeeper.

Can anyone else shed any light on SOLR-4478 and the configName parameter
in core.properties?

Thanks,
Shawn