Good question, Mikhail.  I started by putting that logic in the prepare()
function by sheer force of habit, but have since moved it first to
distributedProcess() (my system is sharded) and now to handleResponses() (as
in MoreLikeThisComponent.java, which I am mimicking without understanding).
As of last night, the new query is being generated but I am not yet getting
back responses for it. I have created a new ShardRequest.PURPOSE_XXX value
for myself but don't know whether that was a good idea.