Hi,

first I'd like to thank those who've spent their time reading this,
especially Erick, Jason and Shawn. Thank you!

I've finally got it working. Shawn was right, I needed to enable updateLog
in solrconfig.xml and create the tlog directory. After doing, so I could
index documents sent on any node, they would go to the leader which indexed
them but they still weren't being replicated to the replicas.

After looking at the logs, I remembered some thing I had read somewhere
(would like to include link here but can't find it) about when using a
Zookeeper ensemble and wanting to reset your Solr Collection you should not
only clear your data folder and tlog folder but you should also clear out
your Zookeeper data folders on all members of ensemble. So I stopped all
Solr Instances in cluster, and then all members of Zookeeper ensemble.
Deleted the Zookeeper data/version_2 folder on all Zookeeper instances.
Deleted the Solr index data on all Solr instances. Restarted the Zookeeper
Ensemble, pushed the SOLR Configs to it and started the remainder of the
Solr cluster. That's when it all started working. Documents I had started
indexing that were solely on the leader got replicated to replicas and then
any document sent to any member of cluster would be indexed and replicated.

So lessons learned:

1) Don't forget to enable updateLog. Needs to be tested: an index that
doesn't have updateLog associated to it cannot be made into replica, or at
least cannot just be copied over to replica nodes.
2) When you want to reset a collection, it's a good idea to reset the
zookeeper ensemble data, especially if your Solr Cluster wasn't replicating.

Marc