Ok, the question was if I understood it now:

"I am importing data from Nutch into Solr. One of the fields is
"author" and I have defined it in Solr's schema.xml. Unfortunately, it
is always empty when I check the records in the Solr's AdminUI. How
can I confirm that the field was actually indexed into Solr?"

In which case, Bayu's answer should solve it. Nutch is either not
extracting the field or trying to push it to Solr with a wrong name.
Try switching the "*" field definition to catch it (stored=true).
Alternatively, disable "*" definition all together and see what fields
will fail (might be a lot of them though).

Regards,
   Alex.
Current project: http://www.solr-start.com/ - Accelerating your Solr proficiency